Home is where you feel comfortable and safe. Home is where you walk in and see your dream complete. We are here to finish your dream! Whether you want to improve the inside of your building or the outside we can help make your dream come true.
Having the right flooring is an important part of your dream. Before you decide what kind of wood flooring interests you, take a moment to consider the different wood flooring options available on the market. Dartex Contracting takes great pride in our quality workmanship when installing wood floors.
Hardwood or Solid Wood
Hardwood is an excellent option when choosing new flooring as it has many benefits, including durability, style, and value.
Solid wood flooring is an investment for your home. Over an average 45-year life time, the wear layer of the floorboards can be sanded and refinished 3 – 5 times. Each sanding will provide a new look and feel of natural beauty allowing you to recolour the floor and change the decor for your personalized space.
One of the most common reasons people choose a hardwood floor is its natural and sophisticated look. Hardwood can provide a beautiful background to showcase unique items in the home or it can stand alone as the dramatic focal point in a room. Whatever species, style, color, or finish you choose, it is a product that will stand the test of time.
Features and Benefits:
Clients concerned about the environment – both in the home and globally – will find hardwood a great alternative to many other flooring options.
• In the home – Low maintenance solid wood floors have the added benefit of not harboring allergens, microorganisms or harmful pesticides that can be tracked in from outdoors.
• Globally – Manufacturers now understand the importance of forest conservation and strive to create healthy and well managed forests.
• Renewable (not disposable) – Since hardwood can be refinished, a well maintained floor can last a lifetime without ever having to be disposed of or replaced.
• No spongy movements of your floor as you walk on it. You will never have to change your floors again!
There is a lot of confusion between solid hardwood flooring and engineered hardwood. Sometimes an engineered floor is regarded as lower quality. However, this is far from the truth.
Engineered hardwood is a layer of real hardwood that has been adhered to a substrate (typically plywood) making it a very stable product. The flooring is then milled with the same tongue-and-grove silhouette as solid hardwood.
Depending on the thickness of the real wood wear layer (0.6mm – 4mm on average), 3 – 12 pieces of engineered flooring can be manufactured for every one piece of 3/4″ thick solid wood flooring. Once installed, it is often impossible to tell the difference between engineered hardwood and solid hardwood.
The popularity of engineered hardwood flooring has dramatically increased over the last few years. This is due in part to customer requests for wider hardwood boards. When hardwood is over 3 ¼” wide, the wood becomes less stable and may be prone to more movement, warping, and shrinking. Engineered flooring, on the other hand, can be installed in planks up to 11” wide.
Features and Benefits:
• Different thicknesses of wear layers makes for a wide price range, accomodating a variety of budgets.
• The ability to glue or float over concrete or radiant heat floors opens up possibilities for condominium owners.
• A great option for basement renovations. Since it is not possible to install solid hardwood in a basement, engineered hardwood is a great option for achieving the look and feel of real hardwood.
• The stability of engineered floors keeps your floor looking the same as the day it was installed throughout the changes of environmental humidity.
• A great option for radiant heated floors.
• Engineered hardwood can also have less of an environmental impact since less solid wood is being used. This gives many manufacturers the ability to offer exotic species that would not have been available otherwise.
Engineered flooring is the total package – the look and feel of solid, at a reduced cost, installed almost anywhere.
Cork is a great flooring to consider when renovating your home. The options in cork flooring have increased dramatically, from colour to texture, and its popularity increases as more people learn the benefits of cork.Cork is harvested naturally every nine years from the bark of a Cork Oak Tree and is done so without cutting or damaging the tree itself.
Features and Benefits:
• Cork reduces noise and vibration.
• Since cork is harvested by stripping only the bark of the tree it is well known as an environmentally responsible flooring option. It is also hypoallergenic which makes it health-friendly, great floor for anyone with allergies.
• The warmth and comfort from of cork flooring is due to the natural texture of the material. Since cork is 50% air, it is able to acclimatize to the same temperature as the air in your home, resulting in a comfortably warm surface. Combine that with the floating floor system and it becomes a favorite for basement floors.
• Naturally produces a substance called Suberin. Suberin protects the cork against insects, mold, and rotting when subjected to moisture for long periods of time.
Laminate floors are not made of real hardwood. A laminate plank is manufactured with a hardwood or tile print. The print is adhered to a core and then milled with a click system that requires no nailing or gluing to install.
Laminates have come a long way since the early 1980’s when they were first introduced to the market. It is an option that might be worth a second look. Their durability and affordability fit most budgets and active lifestyles while the selection of patterns and colours is limitless.
Many laminate floors accurately mimic hardwood and you might believe that all laminates are created equal. However, we encourage you to learn what creates a superior laminate flooring product. We will be happy to show you how a higher quality laminate can exceed your expectations!
Features and Benefits:
• Laminates are very dent resistant and are, therefore, a great at-home option where there are children and pets. A good quality laminate floor is also easily repaired if significant damage is visible.
• Environmentally friendly and hypoallergenic.
• Accumulates less dust and allergens; resists stains, scratches and dents on its surface.
• The click system on laminates also makes this product easy to install. Wood flooring allows you to personalize your floors to your style and taste.
The beauty of hardwood is that there are possibilities for you in every room of the house. Whether your installation is with engineered, solid hardwood, laminate or cork there are many options available. Let us help you pick the right product for your application and then we will discuss the custom options for your particular installation. Contact UsToday for a Free Estimate!