1. Installers are often small, one–or–two person outfits, and can be hard to find. Look for them in the ad section of your local paper’s Home section. Ask neighbors for referrals. Stores that sell flooring materials often have a list of independent installers. Post your project on internet when project owners are matched with professionals like www.MyCanadianContractors.com
2. Get three estimates. It’s easy. If you’re only hiring installers, the estimate rarely takes up more than twenty minutes of your life because you’re only discussing labor, not materials.
3. The estimator will measure your floors with a rolling “wheel-type” measure and a long tape measure and will come up with a square-foot measurement. Don’t be alarmed if their figure is greater than yours. They will add at least ten-percent overage to account for waste associated with cutting the wood. You will get a square-foot price from the estimator. This price will likely not be very negotiable.
4. But you can get good value from your installer by negotiating any or all of the following things:
• Will they shift furniture?
• Will they seal off other rooms with plastic? (Even if they do, insist that they cut the wood outside.)
• Will they cut under existing baseboards, in order to fit the hardwood underneath?
• Will they provide quarter-round to cover gaps between hardwood and baseboards?
5. Ask for client references. If a contractor has a good reputation he will be more than happy to provide you with references.
6. Make sure the supplier you choose controls the entire process; you want to deal with one company or service supplier.
7.Keep asking questions. If you are dealing with a specialist, they will be able to educate you to make an informed decision.
8. Ask the installer if they have proper insurance? It’s important that the company or service professional who installs your hardwood floor has proper insurance coverage.
It pays to deal with a specialist. At Dartex Contracting we pride ourselves on our reputation of being the industry standard in hardwood flooring, engineered hardwood flooring, laminate flooring and cork flooring installation.We specialize in hardwood floors and we can use our experience and expertise to complete your flooring project on time with minimal disruption delivering high quality workmanship.
Your home is your greatest investment, and it would be our honor to be your hardwood flooring contractor of first choice. Give us a call today for a free at home consultation! Contact Us to receive a Free Estimate.